|“||Well, of course you know Justin Foley is a drug addict? Well, you need to for where we're going. Because life with an addict means you never know what to believe. You're always waiting for the next bad news.||”|
|— Ani narrating|
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Plot[edit | edit source]
Clay talks to Justin about the bottle of Oxycodone that he found in Justin's shaving cream bottle. Justin says that he took it from Bryce's room and it was a one-time thing, after Bryce's funeral, because he didn't know how to deal with his grief.
Clay tells Ani about Bryce’s Oxycodone, but Ani says that Bryce wasn't doing drugs. She knows this because the cops did a search of his room after finding the steroid stash and they didn't find anything else. Clay is upset that Justin clearly has been lying.
Clay has officially been named a person of interest in Bryce's murder case. A reporter even shows up at Monet's to ask Clay questions. Justin realised and rushes to his defense.
Justin and Jessica finally announce that they are officially together. Alex asks Justin how he feels knowing that he’s been secretly using drugs behind her back. Justin freaks out and breaks up with Jess. He doesn't tell her about the drugs, ashamed and instead he tells her that he cheated on her. Jess gets suspicious and doesn't believe him.
Justin has not only been taking drugs, but he's also been selling them on the side to pay back his Mom's ex-boyfriend, Seth. In a flashback, Justin is arrested for drug use. He ends up calling Bryce to bail him out. Bryce finds out about Justin's problem with Seth, so he pays Seth $5,000 to get him off Justin's back. Bryce also gives Justin Oxycodone so that he can taper off of the heroin.
Justin admits everything to Clay. He also tells Clay that he thinks he's the reason Bryce is dead-for getting him involved with Seth. Justin received a text that day that Bryce's body was found that said "I'm coming for you next." Clay, Justin, and Ani decide to go look for evidence at Seth's place to prove that he is the murderer. They find Bryce's watch, which looks suspicious, but Seth claims that Justin gave it to him in exchange for drugs, Justin denies it. Back at home, Clay catches Justin using drugs in the bathroom and becomes mad. Justin admits that he did steal the watch from Bryce’s room the day of his funeral.
In another flashback, Zach encourages Justin to join the football team again. Justin couldn’t keep up with the rest of the players because he was taking drugs. Zach "takes care" of it when the whole team gets drug tested and Justin knows that he will fail.
Clay and Justin talk it out about the drugs. Clay doesn't understand why Justin hasn't told him anything and Clay tells Justin that he would do anything for him. Clay gives him his own Oxycodone prescription.
At the end of the episode, Clay receives a call from Olivia Baker.
Evidence[edit | edit source]
Justin Foley[edit | edit source]
- Object: a bottle of medication
- Explanation: Clay went through Justin's sports bag and found a prescription for Oxycodone Hydrochloride—an opioid medication used for treatment of pain—labelled under Bryce's name hidden inside of his shaving gel can at the bottom. Clay immediately confronted Justin about it, and Justin told him that he took the bottle from Bryce's bathroom during Bryce's wake. However later, Ani told Clay that Justin had lied to him. When the cops found Bryce's stash of medication—before Bryce's wake—they did a clean sweep of Bryce's house in order to find anything that could help them and they didn't find any medication. Which left Justin only been able to have taken it from Bryce when he had contact with him before his death, which he had lied about to Clay.
Seth Massey[edit | edit source]
- Object: a text message to Justin
- Explanation: Justin revealed that he didn't kill Bryce after admitting the truth, but that he might have been the reason he was killed. He showed Ani and Clay a text that he received from Seth Massey after Bryce was killed, the text read "You're next.", Ani, Clay and Justin believed that Seth killed Bryce and then planned to kill Justin.
Cast[edit | edit source]
Starring[edit | edit source]
Guest Starring[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
Quotes[edit | edit source]
|“||And here's the thing. When they made Clay a person of interest the searchlight shone on Justin, as well. So, it was only a matter of time until his secrets came out||”|
|— Ani narrating|
|“||Clay knew who he was, but he wasn't sure he knew who Justin was anymore. And without Justin, it felt to him like Clay Jensen versus the world.||”|
|— Ani narrating how Clay felt|
|“||You can't say jock culture is this or that, there isn't just one culture. We're changing things around here. (...) Some guys do shit, athletes and non-athletes. But for lots of guys football is their only shot at a college scholarship. Football, athletics, for some people they're a lifeline. (...) Look, cut our funding or don't. In the end you're not gonna win, because we're not gonna give up.||”|
|— Zach to Jessica when she wants to cut the funding for the sports teams|
|“||I didn't want to go back to football, but once I did it got my out of bed in the
morning and it got me back in myself and shit. I feel like myself for the first time in a really long time.
|— Justin about playing football again|
|“||That's all I want from you. (..) No, no apology. Accountability. We owe that to each other. We do our bests. We fuck up, man. We get better and we learn.||”|
|— Coach Kerba to Justin|
- Clay: "Just so you know, I'd do anything for you. Anything"
- Justin: "Same. Anything."
- ― Clay and Justin
|“||When people stare at you and talk or they don't stare but you can tell that they want to, just just remember that you know who you are, and they don't.||”|
|— Tyler to Clay|
- Justin: "Jess, I don't want this to be over."
- Jessica: "I don't either."
- Justin: "Okay. So, maybe we just go back on the down-low till all this settles?"
- Justin: "No. No, I'm supposed to be living my truth, right? Well, the truth is that I love your lame ass, Justin Foley."
- Justin: "People are gonna talk about us."
- Jessica: "People always talk about us."
- Justin: "Fuck 'em."
- ― Justin and Jessica making their relationship public
- Clay: "My, uh friend Hannah, I told you about her?"
- Ani: "Not much."
- Clay: "Well she- She killed herself. A year ago today."
- Ani: "Sweet Jesus, I'm so sorry."
- Clay: "No, it's okay. It's just, it's been on my mind."
- Ani: "I'm sure. Do you want to talk about it?"
- Clay: "No, I don't."
- ― Clay tells Ani about Hannah
Multimedia[edit | edit source]
Soundtrack[edit | edit source]
|Theme Song: "Oh In This World Of Dread, Carry On" by Eskmo|
|"Bad Decision"||Chromeo||Head Over Heels||Zach tries to convince Justin to play football.|
|"Culture"||Hembree||13 Reasons Why: Season 3 (A Netflix Original Series Soundtrack)
House on Fire
|Justin sells drugs for Seth at Monet's; he uses them himself.|
|"f*ck, i'm lonely"||Lauv, Anne-Marie||13 Reasons Why: Season 3 (A Netflix Original Series Soundtrack)
~how i'm feeling~
|Justin shows Ani and Clay Seth's text at Monet's.|
|"Forever & Ever More"||Nothing But Thieves||What Did You Think When You Made Me This Way?||The Liberty Tigers play their first football game of the year.|
|"Walk Forever By My Side"||Twin Shadow||13 Reasons Why: Season 3 (A Netflix Original Series Soundtrack)||Justin arrives home and starts crying; Clay and Justin talk.|
|"Die A Little"||YUNGBLUD||13 Reasons Why: Season 3 (A Netflix Original Series Soundtrack)||End credits.|
Original Music[edit | edit source]
|"Bad Habit"||Eskmo||13 Reasons Why (Season 3 - Original Series Score)||Justin tells Zach he's not going to pass the drug test.|
Images[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]