Her first play was called 'Wrecked On Brecht', it was published in 1987. For a few years to a decade, she wrote and produced short plays in the downtown area of Manhattan. Her play 'BOY' premiered at La Jolla Playhouse in 1996 and was directed by Michael Greif. The storyline for 'BOY' is based on her Mother's family adopting a male cousin. In 1998, her play 'Fishes' premiered at New Georges in New York City. She wrote the short play "R.A.W ('Cause I'm A Woman)", which explores how men view Asian-American women.
Her first full-length play, "Stop Kiss", debuted in the same year as "Fishes", it was critically acclaimed. The play was produced Off-Broadway in 1998 at The Public Theater in New York City.
In 2006, she wrote "Satellites" a play Sandra Oh starred in that was directed by Michael Grief at The Public Theater. She said she wrote the part in "Satellites" with Sandra in mind.
Son has worked in television since 2000, starting out as a story editor for The West Wing. She was Playwright in Residence at the Taper during this same time. She has also worked on Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Southland, and Blue Bloods (TV series). In March 2015, Son began work on the ABC series American Crime. At the 2015 TCAs, NBC ordered the pilot for Love is a Four Letter Word. It will be produced by 20th Century Fox Television and Red Arrow’s US scripted arm, Fabrik Entertainment. She will write and executive produce with Mikkel Bondesen and Kristen Campo. Son wrote two episodes in the first season of the Netflix adaptation of Jay Ashers' novel, "Thirteen Reasons Why", "13 Reasons Why".
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|
Executive Producer Edit
Awards and Nominations Edit
- Winner of the Berilla Kerr award for playwriting.
- Winner of the GLAAD Media Award for Best New York Production for 'Stop Kiss'.
- Nominated for the John Gassner Playwriting prize.
- She obtained the Brooks Atkinson Fellowship at the Royal National Theatre in London.
- One of the members of the Playwrights Unit in Residence at the Joseph Papp Public Theater.
External Links Edit
- ↑ Son, Diana (writer) & Shaver, Helen (director) (March 31, 2017). "Tape 2, Side A". 13 Reasons Why. Season 1. Episode 3. Netflix.
- ↑ Son, Diana (writer) & Yu, Jessica (director) (March 31, 2017). "Tape 6, Side A". 13 Reasons Why. Season 1. Episode 11. Netflix.
See also Edit
|13 Reasons Why Crew|