This episode focuses on the students graduation after traumatic events and their respective plans for the future..
Strengthened by the struggles they've endured, the friends say goodbye to high school and look forward to the future in an emotional series finale.
|Note: This section is a stub. You can help 13 Reasons Why Wiki by expanding it.|
- Clay: "Thank you for saving my life. Like, more times than you know. I love you."
- Justin: "I love... I love... love you... you too, man."
- Clay: "I'm sorry. Are you afraid?"
- Justin: "Yeah. I am. Will you hold... Will you hold my hand... bro?"
- Clay: "Yeah."
- ― Clay and Justin's last conversation.
|“||It comes down to one question. Will you survive high school? Will I survive? Because I know too many people who didn't. In the past two years, three people who I loved have died. And two... two other people who I thought I hated, also died. But I learned that hate is too simple. Jessica's right. Hate is easy. Love and understanding are harder. But they are how we take care of each other, how we survive. My dad loves to tell me stories about when he was in high school. The stories usually involve chess club and obscure bands with funny haircuts, because the '80s were a strange, strange time. But he always gets one thing right. He knows high school can hurt. That it can be painful. That there are days when that's all it is. And he once told me that he's living proof... you can survive. You can get through it. He's living proof, and so am I. And so are all of you. And the thing is, for me, for us, this class, this... this generation, high school actually is life or death. We show up every day not knowing if this is the day we die. If this is the day someone shows up with a gun and tries to kill us all. We practice what we'll do if that happens. Life or death. I suffer from anxiety and depression. But mostly anxiety. I sometimes think all of us kids do, in some way. And how could we not, with the world the way it is? We hear a lot of promises that things will get better. And... and, look, maybe they will, maybe they won't. And what I think I've learned, what I wanna say to you is whatever happens, keep moving. Get through it. Choose to live. 'Cause even on the worst day, there are people who love you. There's new music waiting for you to hear, some... something you haven't seen before that will blow your mind in the best way. Even on the worst day, life is a pretty spectacular thing.||”|
|— Clay's graduation speech|
|“||I just wanna be clear. I don't actually see ghosts. I just, like... imagine people and what I would say to them.||”|
|— Clay to his hallucination of Justin|
- Clay: "This is where I first listened to my tape. And this is where we lay them to rest."
- Tony: "Rest in peace."
- Zach: "Come on, people. Let's pile on the closure dirt."
- ― The group burying the tapes
- Clay: "I really didn’t grow with much positivity in my life and if I had the influence around me, they were definitely bad. My mother was a drug addict. Her revolving door of boyfriends, mostly drug addicts too. I had a best friend I used to look up to, but then he hurt people close to me and now he’s dead. There was a time in my life I truly had nothing but the clothes on my back and the regret of the people I’d hurt. And then a person came into my life. A person named Clay Jensen. Even when I was puking all over his room, he was there. He’s always been there which is why even though I’ve never had a proper family, I know what it feels like to have one because Clay gave that to me. Because he’s my... he's my..."
- Hallucination Justin: "He's my brother, he’s my positive influence, he’s the reason I am alive and able to write this college essay in the first place."
- Clay: "I miss you. How am I supposed to do this without you?"
- Hallucination Justin: "Clay, it's like you said. You'll survive."
- ― Clay reading Justin's college essay about a positive influence in his life
- Hannah's thirteen tapes are returned to Clay, who has them buried at the same place he had listened to his tape. He and the others- Alex, Courtney, Ryan, Tyler, Jessica, Ani, Tony, Zach- bury them; finally putting closure on what their actions had done to Hannah
- Justin is the fourth and final hallucination that Clay sees after Hannah, Bryce and Montgomery.
- Clay also sees a hallucination of Hannah for a final time. In her dark plum-colored prom dress, she smiles and vanishes for good. Footage from "Tape 3, Side A" was re-used for this scene.
- Clay addresses in this episode that he doesn't see ghosts, but their appearances are part of his imagination.
- During the graduation scene, Justin Prentice and Timothy Granaderos can be seen sitting among the graduating students in the background.
- The graduation scenes were shot at the beginning of filming Season 4 instead of at the end because they had to take place during summer. Because the cast didn't know who would die, every actor filmed graduation scenes and the production would later edit out the character that died.
- Clay is seen giving a girl, Heidi, his e-mail address: 'email@example.com'. Fans found out that you can send questions to this address and will get a response from "Clay". The social media team eventually stopped replying as people started to send inappropriate or rude messages.
- Winston finally learns the truth from Alex about Bryce's murder, but decides to leave it alone as he still loves Alex too much to ruin his life.
- At the same time, Sheriff Diaz closes the investigation into Bryce Walker's Murder for good.
- Katherine Langford was asked to return, but was unavailable due to the filming of her new show Cursed.
- Marcus, Sheri and Mr. Porter are the only characters with tapes made for them to not return in this episode.
|Theme Song: "Oh In This World Of Dread, Carry On" by Eskmo|
|"The Shape of a Storm"||Damien Jurado||In the Shape of a Storm||Zach arrives at the hospital and hugs Clay.|
|"Salesman At the Day of the Parade"||Rogue Wave||Descended Like Vultures||Clay walks around the school sad while Justin is in the hospital.|
|"Half Gate"||Grizzly Bear||Shields||Everyone sits in the waiting room during Justin's last hours.|
|"Washing of the Water"||Peter Gabriel||Us||Justin passes away.|
|"Unbelievers"||Vampire Weekend||Modern Vampires of the City||Liberty High's class of 2019 graduates.|
|"Here Comes a Regular"||The Replacements||Tim||The group buries Hannah's tapes.|
|"Take Care"||Beach House||Teen Dream||After burying the tapes, the group looks over town.|
|"Half Light II (No Celebration)"||Arcade Fire||The Suburbs||Clay packs for college; he and Tony say goodbye to Clay's parents and Caleb and drive off.|
|"Trouble (Remastered)"||Lindsey Buckingham||Law and Order||End credits.|
- ↑ Youtube (youtube.com) –– Entertainment Tonight (Entertainment Tonight) "13 Reasons Why Season 4: Devin Druid on Justin's Death and Tyler's Happy Ending | Full Interview"
- ↑ Digital Spy (digitalspy.com) –– "13 Reasons Why star Katherine Langford reveals why she couldn't film for the season finale" (June 20, 2020)
See Also Edit