|“||Everyone had their reasons for wanting to kill Bryce. At the end of the night one of them would've followed through. Clay Jensen had been broken by Bryce more than once. Bryce had threaten to ruin Monty's life. Jessica Davis was on fire with the cause, with anger at Bryce. Justin Foley would've done anything for her. Tony would've loved to get into that fight. Tyler felt under attack all over again. And Zach's dreams were destroyed with one hit.||”|
|— Ani, explaining to Deputy Standall everyones reasons for wanting to kill Bryce Walker|
Monty is in jail, and his dad visits him. His dad is angry at him, not for sexually assaulting someone but for doing it to a guy. Monty's dad asks him if he is gay, and Monty admits that he is. His dad tells him that he can expect to be severely beaten — or worse — by other prisoners, but Monty responds, "At least none of them will be my dad." Monty's dad spits in Monty's face and leaves.
Clay's mom tells Justin and Clay to keep a low profile while they continue to investigate the murder, especially as detectives are tailing them. Justin knows what can save Clay- something that Jessica told Ani a previous night.
Ani gets called into the police station for questioning by Deputy Standall. Ani claims that she has a plan that will fix everything. Ani tells him that many people had motive to kill Bryce - but the key is who would have the guts to "take the gun and pull the trigger". She also explains what really happened at the Spring Fling dance, with Tyler and the potential shooter situation. Then, she tells the Deputy that Monty is the one who threatened and ultimately killed Bryce at the docks.
In a flashback, Monty sees Winston taking photos and approaches him. He says sorry for beating him up. Winston invites Monty to his house to hook up and sleepover. They do. This is the same night that Bryce was killed, which proves Monty's innocence.
In another flashback, we see the actual person who went to the dock was Alex. He went with Jessica to get what Bryce had to give her. Bryce gave Jessica a bloody tape. Jessica takes it and walks away, saying she has nothing else to say to him. He's still wounded and on the ground after Zach beat him up and will likely die if they don't do something to save him, he pleads them for help. Alex goes back to pick up Bryce to help him. Bryce, in pain, threatens to destroy Zach when he gets back. He even says that Jessica set him up to get attacked by Zach and everything is her fault.
Alex, realizing that Bryce will never stop inflicting pain on others, decides to end it all. He walks him down to the edge of the dock and pushes Bryce into the water. Bryce drowns.
Ani tells Deputy Standall this, except she replaces 'Alex and Jessica' by 'Monty'. The group all helped with putting up proof of Monty being the murderer, which they came up with after they found out Monty was dead through Tim Pozzi, a steroid dealer who was in jail at the time of Monty's death. Charlie turns on Monty and plants the tape that Bryce gave Jessica in Monty's locker. Ani hints to Deputy Standall to look there for evidence.
Deputy Standall seemingly already figured out that Alex is guilty. He recognized the tire tracks near the dock, Alex's limping and figured out that Alex bought steroids from Bryce. He wants to protect Alex and is fine with pinning it on Monty.
Deputy Standall tells Ani that Monty died earlier that day. He was awaiting trial for Tyler's sexual assault in jail and someone killed him. Ani tells the deputy, "Let the dead bury the dead." The case is closed. Deputy Standall burns the clothing that Alex wore on the dock.
In a flashforward to Thanksgiving, we see the Jensens, Tony and his boyfriend Caleb, and Justin having dinner together. Tony Skypes with his family in Mexico and Justin asks for help with his drug problem. Meanwhile, Ani and Clay start dating officially. Tyler has a photography exhibition at Monet's of everyone who helped him the past year. Alex and Jessica make up at Monet's. Meanwhile, a fishing boat pulls a bag with Tyler's guns out of the river. Winston shows up outside Monet's and tells Ani that Monty was with him when Bryce was killed and that he didn't deserve to die like that. The season ends with Jessica, Clay and Justin agreeing that they all finally deserve some happiness.
- Object: Bryce's confession tape
- Explanation: After the group found out who Bryce's killer was, Ani told Clay that she had a plan to exonerate Clay. The group covered for Bryce's killer and framed Montgomery de la Cruz as Bryce's killer. Ani told Deputy Standall that Monty was fueled with rage due to Bryce's betrayal, they had a brotherly relationship that Bryce destroyed by turning on him and threatening him. Monty got into his car and followed the Hillcrest bus that Bryce was on, Monty followed Bryce to the Navy Pier docks, physically fought with him (she told the same story that Zach told, but replaced Zach with Monty). In the story, Monty took Bryce's confession tape and then pushed him into the water, Bryce drowned and Monty walked away. Ani told him that Monty might have the tape in his locker. Before Ani came down the sheriff's department, Monty was arrested and put in jail for sexual assault in the first degree after Tyler filed a rape report against him. The cops believed Ani's story but they couldn't arrest Monty or charge him for murder, as Deputy Standall told Ani that Monty was killed in his jail cell. However she knew about Monty's death before she started the story, which allowed her to be able to tell the story as Monty couldn't contradict her story. The cops had no one to arrest, they found the evidence that Ani told them about, and Ani had told the cops that she was with Clay so they closed the case.
- The ending generated controversy among viewers with the main group framing Monty and letting Alex getting away with murder.
- This marks the last appearance of Bryce Walker through flashbacks; he only appeared as a hallucination throughout Season 4.
- This is also the last appearance of Casey Ford.
|Theme Song: "Oh In This World Of Dread, Carry On" by Eskmo|
|"The New Great Depression"||The Moth & The Flame||Ruthless||Mr. de la Cruz visits Monty in jail.|
|"Miss U"||Charli XCX||13 Reasons Why: Season 3 (A Netflix Original Series Soundtrack)||Tony talks with Caleb at the boxing gym.|
|"All Your Life"||Angelo de Augustine||13 Reasons Why: Season 3 (A Netflix Original Series Soundtrack)
|Tyler shows Alex the photos he took of himself the past months.|
|"Survive"||Chelsea Wolfe||Abyss||Alex and Jessica drive back home after what they did.|
|"Still Want to Be Here"||Frightened Rabbit||13 Reasons Why: Season 3 (A Netflix Original Series Soundtrack)
Painting of a Panic Attack
|Deputy Standall burns Alex's clothes.|
|"Find The River"||R.E.M.||Automatic for the People||Tyler reveals his exhibition at Monet's.|
|"Ordinary World"||Eskmo ft. White Sea||13 Reasons Why: Season 3 (A Netflix Original Series Soundtrack)||End credits.|
|"Our 13 Reasons"||Eskmo||13 Reasons Why (Season 3 - Original Series Score)||Monty is brought back to his jail cel.|
|"Who Killed Bryce Walker"||Eskmo||13 Reasons Why (Season 3 - Original Series Score)||Bryce and Monty fight on the field.|
|"The Last Tape"||Eskmo||13 Reasons Why (Season 3 - Original Series Score)||The group start to listen to Bryce's tape.|
|"Justin"||Eskmo||13 Reasons Why (Season 3 - Original Series Score)||Justin reveals he hasn't stayed clean during the Thanksgiving dinner.|