Mackenzie is a recurring character in the second and third season of 13 Reasons Why. She is the sister of Cyrus, the friend and former love interest of Tyler Down and the girlfriend of Eric. She is portrayed by Chelsea Alden.
Mackenzie's parents are divorced and she has been in therapy since. In "Bye" it is revealed that she had an unwilling sexual encounter with the member of a family she had been babysitting two years for.
Throughout the Series
Mackenzie is first introduced when she, her brother and their friends come sit with Tyler at the library. Tyler immediately sparks interest in her and Mackenzie likes him too, and later asks Tyler on a date at the movie theater.
During the date, Tyler gets an orgasm and runs out of the theater, leaving Mackenzie behind. Mackenzie tells a friend about it because she thinks she did something wrong, and soon all the outcasts know and make fun of Tyler for it. Mackenzie tries to talk with him about what happened at a concert, but Tyler yells at her to shut up because there were two guys listening. Tyler tells Mackenzie that he left because she's boring and doesn't like her in a romantic way.When Tyler returns Mackenzie happily greets him. Tyler asks her to the Spring Fling dance, but she reveals that she started dating Eric. At the dance she receives a text from Tyler, likely telling her what he's about to do, and shows it to Cyrus.
Clay and friends decide to cover up for Tyler's attempted school-shooting, Mackenzie joins them. She is also shown to support him after Tyler reports his rape. It is unknown if Tyler and she still have romantic feelings for each other but they are shown to care about each other a lot, as Tyler includes a smiling photo of her in his photo exhibition in Let the Dead Bury the Dead.
Mackenzie is all-around nice. She is an artsy and witty girl who isn’t afraid to speak her mind. Throughout the second season of the series she shows care and compassion to her family and to Tyler, even when her brother Cyrus shouts at her to get out and close the door, she’s nice to Tyler who in turn, didn’t do anything to defend her. She also supports him throughout the Third Season, which shows she really cares about him.
Mackenzie is a small girl with long red hair and brown eyes. Most of the time she wears a blue-white headband and is often seen in shirts with stripes.
- "Yeah. I'm the New Girl"
- "If You're Breathing, You're a Liar"
- "And Then the Hurricane Hit"
- "Let the Dead Bury the Dead"
- See also: Category:Images of Mackenzie
- Cerar, Jo Marissa (writer) & Moncrieff, Karen (director) (May 18, 2018). "The Drunk Slut". 13 Reasons Why. Season 2. Episode 3.
- Kumar, Rohit (writer) & Candler, Kat (director). (May 18, 2018). "The Missing Page". 13 Reasons Why. Season 2. Episode 9.
- Moore, Kirk A. (writer) & Candler, Kat (director). (May 18, 2018). "Smile, Bitches". 13 Reasons Why. Season 2. Episode 10.
- Tyler, Hayley (writer) & Yu, Jessica (director). (May 18, 2018). "Bye". 13 Reasons Why. Season 2. Episode 13.