This page features all minor characters that made an appearance during the first season of Netflix's 13 Reasons Why. It spotlights characters that essentially received minor roles but were relevant enough in the story to which a page was needed to document their involvement. The characters below are listed in order of episode appearance for your convenience. Please use the Minor Character infobox when adding a new addition to the page. Please click here for the minor characters that are in the second season. Please click here for the minor characters that are in the third season.
During communications class, Pratters asks Mrs. Bradley if they could be done with the suicide awareness lesson taught in Communications class. The unit had been going on for a week, and Pratters is tired of it. Although he says that the event was tragic, he doesn't want to be reminded of it all the time and says that it is depressing. Mrs. Bradley responds by saying that it is important to know if someone that they love or care about might need help.
Pratters doesn't seem to understand or know the importance of talking about suicide and the importance of the Communications class. He is known to make jokes with his lack of understanding of sensitive important topics and is made fun of because of his lack of understanding of those topics.
- Mrs. Antilly: "I thought, and I know this isn't how things are usually done, but I thought you could be friends. Now, I recognize it's unusual to assign someone a friend, so think of it as a friendly face in a crowd, until you get your bearings. "
- Jessica: "So you want us to smile at each other in the hall?"
- Hannah: "And how will that help us, like directionally?"
- Mrs. Antilly: " Well, the point is, you won't be strangers Starting at a new school can feel overwhelming. I just want you to have an ally. Two allies. Count me in as well."
- Hannah: "So, just to be clear, we should smile at you in the hallway, too?"
- Mrs. Antilly: "Sure, I'd love that!"
- ― Mrs. Antilly introducing Jessica and Hannah to each other.[src]
Mrs. Antilly is the former counselor at Liberty High School, who was later substituted by Kevin Porter. Mrs. Antilly is genuinely dedicated to her students, to the point of willingly entering awkward situations in order to ease them into a better, more comfortable fit to the environment of Liberty High School.
As school begins after the end of the summer vacation, Mrs. Antilly introduces two new students to Liberty High to each other. Those two students happen to be Hannah Baker and Jessica Davis. She wants them to be friends or at least be a friendly face in the crowd. Through her willingness to help new students, Mrs. Antilly attains a measure of appreciation and respect by both Hannah and Jessica.
- Mrs. Antilly: " Listen, I'm not under any illusion that is school is a friendly place. I'd like it to be. It isn't always, but..we three, we can be there for each other! That's all!"
- Jessica: "Mrs. Antilly, I'm sure Hillary is awesome, but--"
- Hannah: "If we're gonna be great friends, you should know that my name is Hannah. "
- Jessica: "What did I call you?"
- Hannah: "Hillary."
- Jessica: "That's not your name?"
- Hannah: "Crap. I already got your best friend necklace engraved with "Hillary.""
- Hannah: "Are there any students named Hillary we can set up with Jennifer?"
- Jessica: "Jessica."
- Hannah: "Sorry, Jezebel."
- ― Hannah and Jessica[src]
- Jessica: " No problem, Harriet."
- Hannah: "Ooh. Can I get a Jezebel, She'd be an amazing friend."
- Mrs. Antilly (looking at each other): "(laughs) See? See, the senses of humor on you two. It's a perfect match!"
- Hannah: "Yeah."
- Jessica: "Clearly."
- ― Hannah and Jessica (conversation continued)[src]
Jane Childs Edit
Jane Childs is Liberty High School's vice principal. She is portrayed by Kimiko Gelman. She's advising the student honor board and overhearing their decision regarding Alex Standall and Montgomery, along with Mr. Porter.
When Marcus Cole told Mr. Porter about a possible possession of weed, Ms. Childs returns. After finding out that Clay Jensen had a bag of weed in his backpack, she suspended him for three days, down from a starting duration of five days due to his clean record, as long as he signed up for the drug deferral program at the police station.
Mr. Cantrell Edit
He was seen on "Tape 5, Side B" because he was involved in a car crash that killed Liberty High School student, Jeff Atkins, because a stop sign was knocked down by Sheri Holland with Hannah in the car, a couple of hours before.
Clay Jensen discovered Jeff and Mr. Cantrell when he heard the crash while walking home. He told Mr. Cantrell that he was going to help. After calling the cops, he left the scene and went to Mr. Cantrell's wife, Mrs. Cantrell, and told her that her husband was in an accident and that someone else was hurt.
Clay went to the Cantrell house a month later and discovered that Sheri has been helping Mr. Cantrell since the accident.
He was last seen telling Sheri "I got it! I got it."
Mrs. Cantrell Edit
Mrs. Cantrell is the wife of Mr. Cantrell. When Clay Jensen tells her that her husband was in a car accident. A month after the accident happened Clay checks in on her and when Clay asks if she remembers him, she replies yes. Sheri Holland is revealed to have told them both Clay would be dropping by. Sheri has been helping her husband since the accident and Mrs. Cantrell calls Sheri 'Our little angel.'
The first encounter with Laura is when she is talking to another lesbian, as Courtney watches sorrowfully. Laura has greenish blue eyes and blond hair.
When Tyler leaks the photo of Hannah and Courtney kissing, Courtney attempts to deflect attention away from herself by saying the photo is actually of Laura and Hannah kissing. She even adds on that the two of them love to have three-ways.
Jamie only appears in the background, alongside his friends Justin Foley and Zach Dempsey. He is mentioned by Bryce Walker at the Pep Rally as a new member of the Liberty High varsity team lineup.
He appears in:
He isn't credited for some appearances and therefore is classed as a minor character, the following uncredited appearances are:
- "Tape 1, Side A"
- "Tape 1, Side B"
- "Tape 2, Side A"
- "Tape 3, Side B"
- "Tape 5, Side A"
- "Tape 6, Side A"
Todd and Steve CrimsenEdit
Todd and Steve Crimsen are Courtney Crimsen's two dads. They are portrayed by Robert Gant and Alex Quijano.
Hannah and Courtney are digging through some things that his family owns in order to catch the stalker. Courtney and Hannah lie to Courtney's Dad when he starts asking questions as he comes in.
They appear in:
- "Tape 2, Side B" (Todd Crimsen only)
- "Tape 3, Side A"
- "Tape 6, Side B" (Todd Crimsen only)
- "Tape 7, Side A" (Todd Crimsen only; uncredited)
- "Two Girls Kissing"
Robert Wells Edit
Robert Wells is shown reading a book when Hannah Baker asked: "What future are you peddling?" She is then surprised to learn that Robert is a Librarian. He says that Hannah "Looks like she writes."
He is last seen when Hannah was bringing her tapes to the post office, where he tells her that they missed her at the group and asks her to visit them sometime. He was the last person Hannah talked with before her death.
Mason Porter Edit
Mason Porter is Tracy and Kevin Porters' youngest child. Mason has an older sister. Kevin mentioned he is 9 months in the first season making his birth date in February 2017. He would be 13 months in the second season.
Harris Atkins Edit
Harris Atkins is the husband of Mrs. Atkins and father of the late Jeff Atkins. He is only seen in one episode "Tape 5, Side B". He is seen to be hostile towards Clay. He and his wife listen to Clay tell them how their son Jeff really died.
Mrs. Atkins Edit
Mrs. Atkins is the wife of Harris Atkins and mother of the late Jeff Atkins. She is only seen in one episode "Tape 5, Side B". She is seen to be nice towards Clay. She and her husband listen to Clay when he tells them how Jeff really died.
Javen Reynolds Edit
He appears in the hallway walking in his first appearance. In his last appearance, he is seen closing his locker and walking away.
Arturo Padilla Edit
- Arturo: "Did she leave a note? Girl who killed herself?"
- Clay: "Uh, I don't know."
- Tony (speaks low in Spanish to his father): "'"
- Arturo: "(to Tony) Well, you listen to me. You ever do anything like that to your mother, I will kill you, you understand me? I'll kill you dead. Clean this shit up. "
- Tony: " No sense of irony in that comment. None. He's, uh...he's a simple man."
- Clay: "(smiles) Yep."
- ― Tony and Arturo[src]
Arturo Padilla is Tony Padilla's father. He is smart with cars, the first time he is seen, he is teaching his son how to fix a car.
In the third season, he gets deported to Mexico together with his wife and three of his children. During Thanksgiving, he and his wife facetime with Tony and Caleb from Mexico.
Willem Barclay Edit
Willem appeared multiple times in Season 1. He never had any major appearances and only appeared alongside his jock friends. He made his first appearance in Tape 1, Side B.
Will is a tall, olive-skinned guy with short black hair. His casual attire consists of Liberty Tigers bomber jacket, black skinny jeans and black trainers.
He appears in:
- "Tape 1, Side A"
- "Tape 1, Side B"
- "Tape 2, Side A"
- "Tape 4, Side A"
- "Tape 4, Side B"
- "Tape 5, Side A"
- "Tape 6, Side B"
- "Tape 7, Side A"
Theresa is a Barista at Monet's.
when she was attempting to access the locker that belonged to Hannah Baker as she couldn't get it to open. Clay Jensen had told her to stop and expressed anger. The girl she's new and tried to get her locker open. Clay eventually helped her and explained to the girl that the locker had belonged to a freind of his. He briefly hallucinates the girl showing disgust for what Clay did to Hannah, but she was actually thanking him for getting the locker open for her.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Yorkey, Brian (writer) & McCarthy, Tom (director) (March 31, 2017). "Tape 1, Side A". 13 Reasons Why. Season 1. Episode 1. Netflix.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Yorkey, Brian (writer) & McCarthy, Tom (director) (March 31, 2017). "Tape 1, Side B". 13 Reasons Why. Season 1. Episode 2. Netflix.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Sheff, Nic (writer) & Alvarez, Kyle Patrick (director) (March 31, 2017). "Tape 3, Side B". 13 Reasons Why. Season 1. Episode 6. Netflix.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Jackson, Nathan Louis (writer) & Franklin, Carl (director) (March 31, 2017). "Tape 5, Side B". 13 Reasons Why. Season 1. Episode 10. Netflix.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Bicknell, Julia (writer) & Alvarez, Kyle Patrick (director) (March 31, 2017). "Tape 3, Side A". 13 Reasons Why. Season 1. Episode 5. Netflix.
- ↑ Benjamin, Elizabeth (writer) & Araki, Gregg (director) (March 31, 2017). "Tape 4, Side A". 13 Reasons Why. Season 1. Episode 7. Netflix.