This season picks up five months after Hannah Baker killed herself and where the first season left off. Hannah Baker still has a major role in this season through Clay's head, where it dives deeper into Hannah's past.  However, Hannah no longer narrates the series. The witnesses in Andrew and Olivia Baker's trial against Liberty High School guide the narrative of each episode.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
The second season picks up in the aftermath of Hannah's death and the start of our characters' complicated journeys toward healing and recovery. Liberty High prepares to go on trial, but someone will stop at nothing to keep the truth surrounding Hannah's death concealed. A series of ominous Polaroid pictures lead Clay and his close classmates to uncover a sickening secret and an even bigger conspiracy to cover it up.
Credits[edit | edit source]
Main[edit | edit source]
Recurring[edit | edit source]
Crew[edit | edit source]
Episodes[edit | edit source]
|"The First Polaroid"|
|Five months after Hannah's death, the case against Liberty goes to trial, with Tyler as the first witness. Clay finds a troubling photo in his locker.|
| "Two Girls Kissing"
|Courtney makes a brave decision. Clay's memories of Hannah drive a wedge between him and Skye. Someone trashes the yearbook office.|
|"The Drunk Slut"|
|Worried about threats against them, Alex and Clay urge Jessica to testify about Bryce. Clay enlists Tony's help to find a potential witness.|
| "The Second Polaroid"
|Clay hides a secret from his parents. Concerned about his reputation, Marcus lies in court. Jessica and Alex skip school together.|
|"The Chalk Machine"|
|Tyler and Cyrus embrace their outsider status. Alex fights to recover his lost memories. Ryan and Mrs. Baker look to Hannah's poems for clues.|
| "The Smile at the End of the Dock"
|Clay tries to figure out where the Polaroids were taken. Justin shows up at school. Zach's revelation about Hannah takes everyone by surprise.|
| "The Third Polaroid"
|Alex blows up at Bryce. Someone blackmails Marcus. Clay testifies about a night he and Hannah spent together. Jessica experiences a flashback.|
| "The Little Girl"
|When Hannah's parents come under scrutiny, Jessica reaches out to Mrs. Baker. Justin struggles to stay clean. Clay reconnects with Skye.|
|"The Missing Page"|
|Tyler goes out with Cyrus's sister. Chlöe confronts Bryce about the tapes. Jess wonders if she's ready to date again. Mr. Porter wrestles with regret.|
| "Smile, Bitches"
|Tony opens up about his past. Sheri devises a plan to get into the clubhouse. Mr. Porter tries to help Justin. Zach and Bryce butt heads.|
| "Bryce and Chloe"
|Chaos erupts at school in the aftermath of Bryce's testimony. Jessica tells Chlöe about the clubhouse. Alex's memories come rushing back.|
| "The Box of Polaroids"
|Threats against Clay and the others escalate. Tyler faces disciplinary action. Justin testifies about Bryce, putting his own future at risk.|
|One month later, Hannah's loved ones celebrate her life and find comfort in each other. Meanwhile, a brutal assault pushes one student over the edge.|
Production Notes[edit | edit source]
- On May 7, 2017, it was announced Netflix renewed the series for a second season. A short promo was released on the 13 Reasons Why Facebook account. 
- Filming for Season 2 began June 12, 2017. 
- Netflix added eleven new actors to the 13 Reasons Why cast. 
- According to a Netflix Press release. , in preparation for the launch of Season 2, new resources would be added to the series:
- An automatic warning video about the themes is added at the start of each season, based on the findings of a study by Northwestern University’s Center on Media and Human Development.
- In addition, Netflix has established a discussion guide at 13ReasonsWhy.info, which includes information from mental-health experts as well as the numbers and websites for crisis-prevention centers and helplines.
- For Season 2, there's a new after the show, Beyond the Reasons, which features actors, educators, and experts breaking down the themes of the episodes.
- Katherine Langford returns this season as a hallucination of Hannah in Clay's mind. In the previous season, she appeared as flashbacks.
- A special screening of the second season was held in Los Angeles on March 30th, March 31st and April 4th, 2018.
- On April 30, 2018, Netflix announced that the complete Season 2 would be released on May 18, 2018.
- On Good Morning America, there was a sneak peek that was released, especially for them, in the scene Clay is talking to Hannah as a sort of daydream in his head, she asks him if he knows her, Clay says that he thought he did, she then tells him to do the right thing.
- This is the first season to feature Cyrus and Eric, Toby and Chad.
- This is the only season to feature Nina Jones.
- This is the last season to feature a hallucination or flashback of Hannah Baker.
Soundtrack[edit | edit source]
- See also: 13 Reasons Why (Soundtrack)#Season 2
The soundtrack was released May 18, 2018 and nominated at the 2019 Billboard Music Awards for 'Best Soundtrack'.
|Theme Song: "Oh In This World of Dread, Carry On (13RY Edit)" by Eskmo.|
Trailer Song: "How Far Does the Dark Go" by Anya Marina.
Promotional Song: "Back To You" by Selena Gomez.
|lovely||Billie Eilish x Khalid||13 Reasons Why: Season 2 (Music From the Original TV Series)||Present day: Clay talks to Hallucination Hannah; he finishes his tattoo with Hallucination Hannah watching, in "Bye".|
|Start Again||OneRepublic ft Logic||13 Reasons Why: Season 2 (Music From the Original TV Series)||Present day: Nina asks Jessica what she thinks about Damon in "The Missing Page".|
|Falling Skies||YUNGBLUD ft Charlotte Lawrence||13 Reasons Why: Season 2 (Music From the Original TV Series)||This song is on the soundtrack as a bonus, this song does not play in the show.|
|The Night We Met (feat Phoebe Bridgers)||Lord Huron||13 Reasons Why: Season 2 (Music From the Original TV Series)
|Present day: Clay’s friends gather around him and comfort him at the dance, in "Bye".|
|Tangled Up||Parade of Lights||13 Reasons Why: Season 2 (Music From the Original TV Series)||Present day: Clay is talking to Hallucination Hannah in his room, in "Two Girls Kissing".|
Present day: Clay, Justin, and Tony run into Caleb, Jess, and Alex at the dance, in "Bye".
|Time||Colouring||13 Reasons Why: Season 2 (Music From the Original TV Series)
Bn - EP
|Present day: A crowd of students streams into the dance, in "Bye".|
|My Kind Of Love||Leon Else||13 Reasons Why: Season 2 (Music From the Original TV Series)||Present day: Justin and Clay run into Bryce; Jessica watches, in "Bye".|
|Your Love||Haerts||13 Reasons Why: Season 2 (Music From the Original TV Series)
|Flashback: Zach repeatedly visits The Crestmont, where Hannah worked during the summer, in "The Smile at the End of the Dock".|
|Love Vigilantes||New Order||13 Reasons Why: Season 2 (Music From the Original TV Series)
|Present day: Opening scene; Tyler is giving his testimony; Clay and Skye ride a Vespa through town. Repeats during end credits, in "The First Polaroid".|
|The Killing Moon||Echo & the Bunnymen||13 Reasons Why: Season 2 (Music From the Original TV Series)
|Present day: Justin and Jessica talk; Clay talks to Hallucination Hannah, in "Bryce and Chloe".|
|Promise Not To Fall||Human Touch||13 Reasons Why: Season 2 (Music From the Original TV Series)
Promise Not To Fall
|Season 1 Recap, in "The First Polaroid"|
Present day: Jessica cries in her bedroom; Marcus discovers a hate crime related to the campaign; Clay sleeps as Justin stays awake. End credits, in "The Drunk Slut".
|Sanctify||Years & Years||13 Reasons Why: Season 2 (Music From the Original TV Series)
|Present day: Tony and Caleb talk at Monet's, in "The Missing Page".|
|Tin Pan Boy||YUNGBLUD||13 Reasons Why: Season 2 (Music From the Original TV Series)
YUNGBLUD - EP
|Present day: Tyler shares junk food with Alex, in "The First Polaroid".|
|Souvenir||Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark||13 Reasons Why: Season 2 (Music From the Original TV Series)
Architecture & Morality
|Flashback: A montage of Zach and Hannah having sex, in "The Smile at the End of the Dock".|
|Watch Me Bleed||Tears for Fears||13 Reasons Why: Season 2 (Music From the Original TV Series)
|Present day: Clay confronts and shouts at Hallucination Hannah about what (Hannah Baker) killing herself and leaving The Tapes has done to everyone, in "The Little Girl".|
|Cities in Dust||Siouxsie and the Banshees||13 Reasons Why: Season 2 (Music From the Original TV Series)
|Present day: Cyrus and Tyler write 'RAPISTS' with fire on the football field at night time and leaving it burning, in "The Missing Page".|
|Of Lacking Spectacle||Gus Dapperton||13 Reasons Why: Season 2 (Music From the Original TV Series)||Present day: Clay and Justin talk to Sheri about The Polaroids at Monet’s, in "Smile, Bitches".|
|Falling (In Dreams)||Telekinesis||13 Reasons Why: Season 2 (Music From the Original TV Series)
|Present day: Clay sits in the courtroom in The Courthouse, in "Bryce and Chloe".|
|Strength||The Alarm||13 Reasons Why: Season 2 (Music From the Original TV Series)
|Present day: Clay takes control of Tyler's mindset and manages to stop him from performing a school shooting, in "Bye".|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Images[edit | edit source]
Social Media Assets[edit | edit source]
TalkToTheReasons.com[edit | edit source]
Assets from the Immersive Experience
References[edit | edit source]
- Deadline (deadline.com) — "'13 Reasons Why' Renewed For Season 2 By Netflix" (May 7, 2017).
- US Weekly (usmagazine.com) — "’13 Reasons Why’ Season 2: Fans Will Be ‘Surprised’ Where Clay Ends Up, Dylan Minnette Says" (August 7, 2017)
- Mashable (mashable.com) — "What to expect from '13 Reasons Why' Season 2" (May 9, 2017)
- Entertainment Weekly (ew.com) — "13 Reasons Why: Exclusive first details on season 2" (May 9, 2017)
- Variety (variety.com) –– "'13 Reasons Why' Adds Seven New Actors for Season 2" (August 8, 2017).
- Deadline (deadline.com) –– "‘13 Reasons Why’: Jake Weber, Brenda Strong, Meredith Monroe & RJ Brown Join Season 2 Cast"(August 10, 2017).
- E! Online (eonline.com) — "13 Reasons Why Renewed for Season 2" (May 7, 2017).
- MTV (mtv.co.uk) — "13 Reasons Why Season 2 Filming Has Begun As The Cast Tease What’s To Come" (June 14, 2017).
- Deadline (deadline.com) — "‘13 Reasons Why’ Shuts Down Production Due To Devastating Northern California Wildfires" (October 11, 2017)
- What's on Netflix (whats-on-netflix.com) — "13 Reasons Why Season 2: Release Date, Trailers & Everything We Know" (April 30, 2018)
- Netflix (media.netflix.com) — Netflix Press release
- Vulture (vulture.com) — "Netflix Is Adding Warning Video Before 13 Reasons Why" (March 21, 2018)
- Daily Mail (dailymail.co.uk) — "How to watch 13 Reasons Why Season 2 before everyone else" (March 29, 2018)
- Variety (variety.com) — "‘13 Reasons Why’ Season 2 Premiere Date, Trailer Revealed" (April 30, 2018)
- Good Morning America (YouTube) (youtube.com) — "Behind the scenes of Netflix's '13 Reasons Why'" (May 16, 2018)
- Billboard (billboard.com) — "Cardi B Leads 2019 Billboard Music Awards Nominations With 21" (April 4, 2019)