This season focuses on Bryce Walker's murder in the aftermath of serving three months probation. Katherine Langford had confirmed that she would not reprise her role as Hannah Baker for this season. Most of the main cast returned for this season and introduces the character of Ani Achola. She serves as the detective in Bryce's murder and narrates each episode while speaking to Deputy Standall in an interrogation room.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Eight months after preventing Tyler from committing an unthinkable act at Spring Fling, Clay, Tony, Jessica, Alex, Justin, and Zach find ways to shoulder the burden of the cover-up together while helping Tyler move toward recovery. But when the aftermath of a tumultuous Homecoming game culminates in the disappearance of a football player, and Clay finds himself under police scrutiny, it’s up to a shrewd outsider to steer the group through an investigation that threatens to lay bare everyone’s deepest secrets. The stakes are raised in this riveting third season of ’13 Reasons Why’, as the consequences of even the most well-intended actions can alter a life forever.
Credits[edit | edit source]
Crew[edit | edit source]
Episodes[edit | edit source]
|"Yeah. I'm the New Girl"|
|The cops question Clay about Bryce's disappearance. Clay remembers the aftermath of Spring Fling, when he raced to cover Tyler's tracks and met Ani.|
| "If You're Breathing, You're a Liar"
|After learning about Chlöe's pregnancy, Clay and Ani pay her a visit. Chlöe recalls how she leaned on Zach for support — and that Bryce never knew.|
|"The Good Person is Indistinguishable from the Bad"|
|As the police investigation sets the school on edge, Ani remembers that Jessica confronted Bryce. Growing suspicious of Jess, Ani and Clay follow her.|
| "Angry, Young and Man"
|After Tyler admits he still has a gun, the group keeps tabs on him at school. But their worry deepens when they learn he had a motive to kill Bryce.|
|The police search the school after finding steroids in Bryce's car. Alex remembers how Bryce supported Alex after Jessica dumped him.|
| "You Can Tell the Heart of a Man by How He Grieves"
|The police bring in Tony for questioning. At Bryce's funeral, Ani uncovers two damning secrets.|
|"There Are a Number of Problems with Clay Jensen"|
|The police interrogate Justin and Clay about the night Clay pulled a gun on Bryce. Clay discovers that Ani and Bryce's bond ran deeper than he realized.|
| "In High School, Even on a Good Day, It's Hard to Tell Who's on Your Side"
|Mr. Porter interviews students about Clay, who pleads his innocence to Mrs. Walker. Learning Porter counseled Bryce, Clay and Ani question his motives.|
|"Always Waiting for the Next Bad News"|
|The cops name Clay as a person of interest in the murder. Ani catches Justin in a lie after learning Bryce bailed him out of a dangerous situation.|
| "The World Closing In"
|Hannah's mother returns to town. Urging Clay to protect himself, she reveals that there was more to Tony and Bryce's relationship than Clay knew.|
| "There Are a Few Things I Haven't Told You"
|As the cops close in on Clay - their main suspect - violent confrontations at the homecoming game expose that everyone had a reason to kill Bryce.|
| "And Then the Hurricane Hit"
|The pressure of Clay's arrest leads his friends to make risky decisions, and the full story of the brawl that erupted at homecoming emerges.|
| "Let the Dead Bury the Dead"
|Clay is released on bail, Ani puts a plan to exonerate him into action, and the truth about Bryce's murder finally comes to light.|
Production Notes[edit | edit source]
- Katherine Langford, who portrayed Hannah Baker, did not return for this season.
- Production began on August 12, 2018 and ended on February 15, 2019.
- For Season 3, just like the previous seasons, there's an aftershow.
Soundtrack[edit | edit source]
- See also: 13 Reasons Why (Soundtrack)#Season 3
The soundtrack was released on August 23, 2019.
|Trailer Song: "Before I Ever Met You" by BANKS|
Promotional Song: "f*ck, i'm lonely" by Lauv ft. Anne-Marie
Theme Song: "Oh In This World Of Dread, Carry On" by Eskmo
|Teeth||5 Seconds of Summer||CALM||Present day: Alex gets aggressive while training at the boxing gym and Deputy Standall tries to calm him down in "There Are a Few Things I Haven't Told You".|
|Die A Little||YUNGBLUD||N/A||End credits of "Always Waiting for the Next Bad News".|
|f*ck, i'm lonely||Lauv ft Anne-Marie||~how i'm feeling~||Present day: Clay, Ani and Justin at Monet's talking about Seth in "Always Waiting for the Next Bad News"|
|Severed||The Decemberists||I'll Be Your Girl||Present day: Zach tries to call Bryce; Monty is arrested for sexual assault; end credits in "Yeah. I'm the New Girl".|
|Swim Home||Cautious Clay||N/A||Present day: Jessica tells Justin she'll help him and kisses him at Monet's in "The World Closing In".|
|Another Summer Night Without You||Alexander 23||N/A||Flashback: Ani and Clay measure each other in "There Are a Number of Problems with Clay Jensen".|
|Miss U||Charli XCX||N/A||Present day: Tony talks with Caleb at the gym in "Let the Dead Bury the Dead".|
|Favorite Drug||Daydream Masi||N/A||Flashback: Bryce and Monty arrive at the party, where Winston notices Monty and the two exchange a look in "Nobody's Clean".|
|Keeping It in the Dark||Daya||N/A||Flashback: Clay tells Ani about what happened at the Spring Fling while at Monet's in "Angry, Young and Man"|
|Young Forever||JR JR||Invocations / Conversations||Flashback: Clay and Ani watch Charlie ask a girl to Homecoming and talk about high school dances in "The World Closing In".|
|All That||Drama Relax ft. Jeremih||All That||N/A|
|This Baby Don't Cry||K.Flay||Solutions||Flashback: Justin and Jessica hook up in "The Good Person is Indistinguishable from the Bad"|
|Walk Forever By My Side||Twin Shadow||N/A||Flashback: Justin arrives home and starts crying.|
Present day: Clay and Justin talk about Justin's drug addiction in "Always Waiting for the Next Bad News"
|Slaves Of Fear||HEALTH||Vol. 4: Slaves of Fear||End credits of "There Are a Number of Problems with Clay Jensen"|
|All Your Life||Angelo de Augustino||Tomb||Present day: Tyler shows Alex the photos he has taken of himself since his assault in "Let the Dead Bury the Dead"|
|Culture||Hembree||House on Fire||Flashback: Justin sells drugs for Seth at Monet's and smokes heroin in "Always Waiting for the Next Bad News".|
|Still Want To Be Here||Frightened Rabbit||Painting Of A Panic Attack||Present day: Deputy Standall tells Alex who Bryce's alleged killer is, and burns Alex's clothes in "Let the Dead Bury the Dead"|
|Ordinary World||Eskmo||N/A||End credits of "Let the Dead Bury the Dead"|
Quotes[edit | edit source]
|“||What happened to Hannah will always be the first clause of the story. The rest of the story is about young people, as so many young people, maybe all young people today (learn) how to heal from the things that have hurt them…to make the world that they want it to be, not just the world they are inheriting…and above all, how to take care of each other.||”|
|— Brian Yorkey at Netflix FYC Panel|
- Dylan: " Welcome to Season Three of 13 Reasons Why. "
- Alisha: " If you've been watching, you know our show portrays a number of real issues facing teenagers today."
- Christian: "We tell stories about things like substance abuse, bullying, sexual assault, violence, and suicide. "
- Justin: " If these issues are in your life, this series may not be right for you."
- Timothy: " Or you may not want to watch it alone. "
- Ross: " So watch with your parents, your family, or your friends."
- Dylan: " Then talk to someone about what you see,"
- Alisha: " What you think about it. How it makes you feel."
- ― The cast of 13 Reasons Why giving a warning message before the show begins
- Christian: "And if you find you need help, talk to a trusted adult. Like a school counselor. "
- Justin: " Or call a local helpline or visit our website at 13Reasonswhy.Info"
- Timothy: " Once you start talking about it, it gets better. "
- Dylan: " Enjoy the show."
- Alisha: " Enjoy the conversion."
- Dylan: " And take care of each other. "
- ― The cast of 13 Reasons Why giving a warning message before the show begins (continued)
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Prior to the production of the third season, cast members: Dylan Minnette, Justin Prentice, Devin Druid, Alisha Boe, Brandon Flynn, Christian Navarro, Miles Heizer and Ross Butler all demanded higher salaries before they began filming. They were all given higher salaries just before they started filming.
- On the release date announcement, Netflix provided viewers with a URL, whokilledbrycewalker.com, where you can talk to Deputy Bill Standall about the case, and reveal who you think killed Bryce. You can also unlock this season's Character Portrait of the character you suspect to be the killer. One quote made by Bill during the simulated talk reveals Ani's last name is Achola.
- Each episode title comes from one of Ani's lines as the narrator in the episode. However, the title of the fifth episode of the season, "Nobody's Clean", was one of Alex's lines.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Images[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
Social Media Assets[edit | edit source]
Whokilledbrycewalker.com[edit | edit source]
Interactive Experience: police investigation about who killed Bryce Walker.
References[edit | edit source]
- Deadline (deadline.com) — "‘13 Reasons Why’ Renewed For Season 3 By Netflix" (Retrieved June 6, 2018)
- Entertainment Weekly (ew.com) — "13 Reasons Why season 3 gets August release date, reveals a major character death" (Retrieved August 1, 2019)
- RadioTimes — "When is 13 Reasons Why season 3 released on Netflix? Cast, trailer and spoilers" (August 1, 2019)
- SpoilerTV (spoilertv.com) — "13 Reasons Why - Season 3 - Katherine Langford Not Returning" (Retrieved May 25, 2018)
- SFGate (sfgate.com) — "'13 Reasons Why' to begin filming Season 3 in North Bay this month" (Retrieved January 3, 2018)
- SpoilerTV (spoilertv.com) — "Production Dates — Various Shows *Updated 5th July 2018*" (Retrieved July 5, 2018)
- Instagram (instagram.com) — Alexis Jones (missalexisjones) Alexis Jones about wrapping up the aftershow
- Apple Music (music.apple.com) — "13 Reasons Why Season 3 soundtrack"
- Deadline (deadline.com) –– "13 Reasons Why’: Cast Of Hit Netflix Series Closes In On Major Raises As Season 3 Production Start Looms" (Retrieved August 8, 2018)
- Deadline (deadline.com) –– "‘13 Reasons Why’: Cast Of Hit Netflix Series Lands Major Raises For Season 3" (Retrieved August 16, 2018)