|“||My mum has a saying for this sort of thing: (quoting in Swahili) It means "The Good Person is Indistinguishable from the Bad". I've heard my mother say it a thousand times...and I've never really thought about it until that day, when we got the news. And then I couldn't stop thinking about it.||”|
|— Ani narrating|
As the police investigation puts the school on edge, Ani remembers that Jessica confronted Bryce. Growing suspicious of Jess, Ani and Clay follow her.
Everyone at Liberty High School finds out about Bryce's death. Clay and Ani continue their investigation to find out who really wanted to kill Bryce. Clay and Ani stop suspecting Zach and turn their focus to Jessica, since she is one of the people with the biggest motivation to want him dead.
Despite what Ani tells the police, she does actually know that Jessica’s rapist was Bryce. She saw Jessica confront Bryce, after the trial, to tell him that she’s doing “really great” despite him breaking something in her when he raped her. Bryce admits that things went “too far” with her and Hannah and the others. Jessica calls him a “psychopath” and leaves.
Since Ani knows that Bryce wrote Jessica that letter before his death, she suspects that maybe Jessica had a strong reaction to Bryce’s letter. She considers that maybe Jessica even killed him because of it.
In a flashback, Jessica confides in Ani about the bad sex she was having with Alex (her boyfriend at the time). Ani tells Jessica to buy some vibrators and explore sex in that way. Jessica took her advice and really enjoyed it. Jessica does admit that she was fantasizing about someone bad for her. Ani and Clay assume that the person Jessica was talking about was Bryce, which wasn't the truth. It was Justin.
After having sex with Alex, Jessica tells him sex and being in a relationship isn't working and breaks up with him. She and Justin hook up several times- at school, in the bathroom at Monet's, and even on Clay's bed.
Clay becomes suspicious of Justin, because Clay knows that Justin also confronted Bryce at some point after the Spring Fling dance, where Bryce revealed he knew all about the gang’s Tyler cover-up.
Meanwhile, Tyler’s mental state appears more and more fragile. The school counselor tells him to have faith, reminding Tyler that change can happen so subtly, it can feel like it’s not happening at all. Tyler finally feels some happiness at the boxing gym with Tony, where he feels like he can "fight free" for the first time in a long time.
Later on, Tyler asks Tony how Tony and Clay got rid of his guns. Tony reminds Tyler that he is never supposed to learn that information. Tyler claims he's asking because he actually has one more in his room, and he needs to dispose of it, now realizing he’ll never need to use it. Tony is suspicious and tells Clay about this reveal.
At the end of the episode, Tyler looks through crime scene photos of Bryce, dead in the river. It is appears that Bryce has a gunshot wound in the back of his head. There is a gun next to Tyler on his bed.
- Object: Bryce's letter to Jessica
- Explanation: Ani had discovered faded marks on a page in Bryce's notebook, from him writing on another page he had ripped out, so she used a pencil for shading and revealed her discovery to Clay that Bryce had started writing a letter to Jessica, on the subject of the night of her party — the night he raped her. Ani questioned what Jessica would have done if Bryce had tried to give it to her. Ani remembered that after Jessica masturbated for the first time and learned to take back control of her own body, Jessica told her that during it, she had thought about someone that was really bad for her. Ani assumed this meant Bryce, both Ani and Clay believed that she may have tried to have sex with Bryce to get back control over her own fears and her body, but it ended up messy. They later found out that Justin warned Bryce not to have contact with Jessica otherwise he would kill him and believed that Justin found out about Bryce trying to give Jessica his letter and they both ultimately killed him.
Guest Starring Edit
|“||Clay Jensen, Tony Padilla, Justin Foley, Montgomery de la Cruz, Jessica Davis. I know these names by heart now, Sheriff. You should, too.||”|
|— Mrs. Walker to Sheriff Diaz|
|“||Don't talk to me again. Stay away from Jessica. Stay away from her fucking neighborhood, from wherever she might be, or I will fucking kill you!||”|
|— Justin threatening Bryce|
|“||The administration did talk to me about it, but the thing they were mostly upset about was the profanity. I was like, 'Seriously? That's what you heard?' Fuck that! I'm pissed off I'm gonna be pissed off until things actually change. Until the predators and the rapists are gone for good.||”|
|— Jessica about her speech|
- Jessica: "I came because I wanted you to know that I'm doing really great."
- Bryce: "That's great to hear."
- Jessica: "I mean, it's taken me a while, because for a long time I thought there was something in me that was, like permanently broken."
- Bryce: "I don't know what to say."
- Jessica: "Yeah, clearly. But I don't need you to say anything. I just need you to know that you didn't break me. Or I guess the parts that you did break, I'm rebuilding them and they'll be stronger than they were ever before."
- Bryce: "Okay."
- Jessica: "Okay?"
- Bryce: "What do you want me to say?"
- Jessica: "I want you to say- I want you to know what you did. Everything you fucking did. To me, to Hannah, to Chloe, to who the fuck knows who else."
- Bryce: "I know what I did."
- ― Jessica and Bryce
- Jessica: "You're a fucking psychopath! I mean, you destroyed lives."
- Bryce: "I hope that's not true."
- ― Jessica and Bryce
- Bryce: "I've never lied to you."
- Justin: "You have, though. Every time you called me brother."
- ― Bryce and Justin
- Clay: "What did we say about dirty dishes, Justin? You have lasagna over there from like, four nights ago. You're not Dr. Fleming discovering Penicillin."
- Justin: " Dude, no one ever understands your jokes."
- ― Clay complaining about Justin's dirty dishes
- Bryce: "I don't know what you want me to fucking do or say. or I...or what the fuck...but I am sorry. And I will be sorry until the day I die for what happened that night at your party. And for everything that happened after."
- Jessica: "What happened was that you raped me while I was unconscious and then lied about it to everybody!"
- Bryce: "Jess...I'm not that person anymore."
- Jessica: "I don't believe that. I don't think you do either. I don't need an apology from you. I realized I don't need a goddamn thing from you. Why don't you work on what it is you need?"
- ― Bryce tries to apologize to Jessica
|Theme Song: "Oh In This World Of Dread, Carry On" by Eskmo|
|"Paralized"||John and the Volta||Low Life||Tyler wakes up in his bed.|
|"Exit Fears"||Ceremony||The L-Shaped Man||Clay waits for Ani in his car while cops drive by.|
|"Hearbeat"||Alice Boman||TBA||Jessica gets undressed and cries; she tries out sex toys to discover her body.|
|"Boys Like Blood"||Jacuzzi Boys||Ping Pong||Tyler fights at the boxing gym.|
|"Woman"||Karen O & Danger Mouse||Lux Prima||Jessica kisses Justin at school; Jessica has sex with Alex.|
|"This Baby Don't Cry"||K. Flay||13 Reasons Why: Season 3 (A Netflix Original Series Soundtrack)|
|Jessica and Justin have rough sex.|
|"Málaga"||Girls Names||Arms Around a Vision||Tony starts playing a song in his car; Seth and Justin talk.|
|"Valentine's Day"||David Bowie||The Next Day||End Credits.|
Original Music Edit