- Ani: "There are a few things I haven't told you."
- Deputy Standall: "About Clay?"
- Ani: "About everyone. Everyone had something to hide. Jessica had good reason to worry, it would turn out. But so did Monty, who truly felt his own life was on the line. One phone call, one question, and the whole life you've built out of lies starts to come crashing down around you."
- ― Ani to Deputy Standall
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
As the cops close in on Clay—their main suspect—violent confrontations at the homecoming game expose that everyone had a reason to kill Bryce.
Plot[edit | edit source]
Clay admits to his parents about the message he sent to Bryce after homecoming. He insists that he had nothing to do with Bryce's murder. His parents believe him but they are worried and tell him they will talk to Dennis to try to fix everything.
Everyone's parents start to ask the kids questions about where they were when he was killed. Jessica tells her dad she was in bed all night. However, Jessica told Ani that she was with Justin that night. Monty told Zach he was staying over at Charlie’s house, which was a lie. Zach claims he was with a friend. Alex tells his dad that he was with Jessica.
Seeing that Clay might go to jail, Tyler offers to tell the police about Monty's sexual assault (which Bryce knew about), therefore giving Monty a motive. Clay tells Tyler not to tell anyone until he's actually ready. Later in the episode, Tyler tells Jessica that he is more than an ally- he himself is a sexual assault victim. He shows her a video he made before the attempted shooting, where he reveals what happened to him. This prompts Jessica to confront Monty and tell him that he should fear her. A flashback shows that Tyler showed Bryce the same video when asked about what Monty did to him.
Principal Bolan tells Jessica that the school's calling an assembly, which will be attended by the Hillcrest football team, and she has to make a public apology. If she doesn't, she will be removed as the student body president. A flashback shows Jessica getting mad at the principal for not cancelling the Homecoming game. She comes up with the idea to show her HO group's message during the game.
In a flashback, Bryce asks Jessica to meet him at the docks after the homecoming game. He told her he has something to give her. Before the game, Bryce went into the locker room at Liberty High to confront Monty about what he did to Tyler. Bryce called it rape, whereas Monty claimed it was just hazing. Bryce threatens Monty to stay away from Tyler or he will let the police know what he did, in addition to all the threats he made to the tape subjects during the trial.
The night of homecoming finally gets revealed. Jessica and her club started a protest during the football game. Everyone took off their clothes and painted themselves with red hand-prints. One Hillcrest football player grabbed Jessica's boobs during their protest. Seeing this, Justin and the team charges at the Hillcrest team, erupting in a massive brawl between the football teams and some other students such as Alex and Clay.
In present day, Clay finds out that the police have been tracking his online searches. He wrote fan-fiction and searched how to kill a character. This adds a lot of suspicion to Clay. He goes to Tony and asks him to help him disappear.
Evidence[edit | edit source]
- Object: Clay's iPhone
- Explanation: As the cops were building a case against Clay, they obtained a warrant to search his house. They took his phone so they could try to obtain evidence that he killed Bryce. They found a deleted text message to Bryce that he sent after Homecoming—shortly before he was killed—saying that he was going to kill him. When the text was sent, it pinged to the nearest signal tower, which was near Bryce's house, the cops then found this out. Later on Clay sent a text to Olivia Baker—while she was back in town—telling her that he needed help and then deleted it. And when the text was sent it also pinged to the nearest signal tower, which was near the waterfall, where Bryce's body was found. It showed that he had intentions of killing Bryce, while near his house and then asked Olivia for help. Before, Clay had revealed to the cops that he was driving around for hours. They believed that Clay argued with Bryce at his house, then drove around for hours, asked Olivia for help and then took Bryce to the waterfall and killed him. Something that made this an incredibly strong motive, was that Clay had wanted to kill Bryce before. He was shown on security footage, pointing a gun up to Bryce with the intention of killing him.
Cast[edit | edit source]
Starring[edit | edit source]
Guest Starring[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This marks the last appearance of Seth Massey.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
|“||Watching what Clay went through, I thought... "It's surprisingly easy to make an innocent person look guilty."||”|
|— Ani to Deputy Standall|
|“||And then they dropped me on the floor, and left me there in the toilet water in my own blood. And that was that. That was the worst of it. But... But it feels like I've been hurting, like, cut and bleeding every day since I was 12. I feel rejected. Not just alone, but rejected. Like I am nothing. No one. And my life is meaningless. I don't think it's ever going to be any different. That school is never going to change. I'm sorry I have so much rage. I wasn't born with it. To everyone I love... I'm really sorry about all of this. Mom and Dad... you've been great parents. You really have. You did your best. I'm sorry. Alex... thank you for being the only one who was ever nice to me. To everyone hearing this... I did what I had to do. That's it. I'm sorry. Goodbye.||”|
|— Tyler's last message before he wanted to shoot up the school and kill himself|
|“||I'm not gonna teach you anything. I'm just gonna tell you this. You're gonna stay the fuck away from Tyler. You're not gonna touch him. You're not gonna look at him. Anything. You have a class with him, transfer. Pass him in the halls, take a different hall. I'll check in with him every week to see how he's doing. If I hear one fucking thing about you, if I hear that you even looked in his direction, then the cops find out about Tony's car, about the gun you gave Alex, about the time you tried to kill Clay; they get everything.||”|
|— Bryce threatening Monty|
- Ani: "Justin was as good as his word. He would defend Clay until the end. Which was going to get complicated"
- Deputy Standall: "Or Clay would defend Justin. "
- Ani: " Or Tyler Down. Or Jessica Davis. Or Zach Dempsey. As a fugitive, Clay had one weakness. He cared about other people."
- ― Ani and Deputy Standall
- Monty: "You're a crazy bitch."
- Jessica: "Yeah. And you should fear that."
- ― Monty and Jessica
Multimedia[edit | edit source]
Soundtrack[edit | edit source]
|Theme Song: "Oh In This World Of Dread, Carry On" by Eskmo|
|"Flake"||FIDLAR||Almost Free||Jessica tells Justin she'll be at the homecoming game but for something other than watching him.|
|"Teeth"||5 Seconds of Summer||13 Reasons Why: Season 3 (A Netflix Original Series Soundtrack)||Alex aggressively trains at the boxing gym, his Dad tries to stop him.|
|"Bad Dance"||Sleater Kinney||The Center Won’t Hold||The HO group protests at the homecoming game.|
|"Party's Over"||Interpol||Marauder||End credits.|
Original Music[edit | edit source]
|"Inside Your Mind"||Eskmo||13 Reasons Why (Season 3 - Original Series Score)||Bryce threatens Monty in the locker room.|
Images[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]