Cruz went to Hollywood to seek work as an actor, intending to be open about his sexuality from the beginning of his career. In 1994 he was cast as Enrique "Rickie" Vasquez, a troubled gay teen, in the short-lived critically acclaimed cult classic TV series My So-Called Life. This made Cruz the first openly gay actor to play an openly gay character in a leading role in a television series.
- "In High School, Even on a Good Day, It's Hard to Tell Who's on Your Side"
- "Always Waiting for the Next Bad News"
- "There Are a Few Things I Haven't Told You"
- "And Then the Hurricane Hit"
- Wilson has volunteered his time as host for the Youth Zone, an online community at Vanguard for the LGBT youth.